The (therapeutic lifestyle changes) TLC diet is a very effective diet program and unlike other fad diets, its effects are long-lasting and demand a major lifestyle change. People who opt for the TLC diet should also follow a strict exercise regime.
This diet is not a weight-loss program but focuses on reducing the LDL or bad cholesterol from the body. It demands a major lifestyle change and is a very cost-effective program.
For the ones who are looking for a healthy, balanced lifestyle, it would be a great choice to switch to the TLC diet program.
Things to know about the TLC diet
The TLC diet is one of the healthiest diet programs that help to maintain a healthy heart and a healthy lifestyle. Some of the major advantages of the TLC diet are
- The diet focuses on reducing saturated fat from the body. LDL or bad cholesterol is formed due to saturated fat. These are the reasons for almost all the heart diseases in the country. The TLC diet helps reduce bad cholesterol by 8-10 percent in six weeks.
- It’s a DIY program wherein the person will have to meet the guidelines and keep a check on the daily consumption of cholesterol. The diet does not allow more than 200 mg of cholesterol per day.
- The diet program may look complicated, but it is straightforward and simple. A person who follows the diet will focus on food that contains fatty acids and limits the food items that contains saturated fat. To be more precise, a person on the TLC diet can consume whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fishes, skinless poultry, and low-fat dairy products.
- Unlike other fad diets, this diet plan does not go with the motto “staying hungry can be healthy.” Rather, the diet plan is supplemented with a fiber-rich menu that contains fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruits and vegetables can continuously replenish the insides and cleanse out all the toxins to provide a healthy setting for digestion.
- One does not need to follow any books or rely on certain exotic, expensive items. Replacing red meats in the list with fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products, would cut-down the costs significantly.
- The biggest disadvantage of the TLC diet is that there are only a few resources to help along the way. Also, eating out can be a bit difficult, as one will have to look out for foods that are low in cholesterol and fat.
Lowering cholesterol and weight loss
In some people, the liver produces a high level of cholesterol. For such people, their cholesterol levels remain high even if they make a conscious effort to reduce. Dietitian Abby Langer says that if one has taken steps to reduce cholesterol, then the results must be evident in the blood within the first three months.
The TLC diet is focused not only on lowering the LDL levels but also indirectly serves the purpose of a weight loss program as well. The diet involves the elimination of meat and fatty products and the inclusion of fiber and lots of low-fat products. This itself provides the key for a lighter, fat-free, and healthier tomorrow.